Monday, March 12, 2007

"I finally see the light; I've opened my eyes."

Brad Delp, lead singer of Boston, passed away on Friday, March 9th.

My cousin, Cheryl, introduced me to Boston in 1986 when Third Stage was released. At this time, I was still purchasing records and most of my music ran towards Prince and his musical family. I know Cheryl was trying to get me to listen to other artists and I thank her for all of the albums that she bought me. She always had great taste in gift-giving.

Boston is one of my super groups. Almost everything they did, I loved. There are very few bands in this list: Prince, Jellyfish and Boston.

What drew me to Boston? The sound.

Simply, it was mind blowing. Tom Scholz 's writing and recording techniques were flawless. Each of the three albums done with Brad singing were amazing. The harmonies, guitar leads, bass and drums...inspiring.

I realized that it has taken me over a week to write this post. How do you share something as personal as music? Especially if you haven't experienced Boston. Boston is not a heavy metal band. Definitely rock-n-roll with very pop influences.

I want to look at each album. I'll start with my first.

Third Stage (1986)

Amanda--a love song. Many Boston songs were about love. Whether they were as open as this one, you would have to listen for yourself. It is a more mature love song and deals more with a relationship than with just being in love.

We're Ready--Scholz said that Third Stage was meant to be listened to in order. This song continues what started in Amanda. Moving on and taking it to the next level.

The Launch: Countdown/Ignition/Third Stage Separation--the longest title with the shortest song. Boston's signature instrumental. Amazingly heavy keyboards/organs. Very arena rock.

Cool the Engines--the most reminiscent of the first Boston album with the signature guitar sound.

My Destination--simplistic. Brad singing, keyboards and drums at the end.

A New World--it does feel like we've landed. Great instrumental. Powerful

To Be a Man--the answer to "A Man I'll Never Be" from Don't Look Back. I still worship this song and try to hold it close to my heart. Search for the lyrics and ruminate on them.

I Think I like It--big guitar and even bigger vocals. This song has the tightest vocal harmonies and one of the first "ear-gasm" moments I can truly remember: the final chorus. Nuff said. Probably one of Brad's best vocal works.

Cant'cha Say (you Believe in Me)--Great harmonies, great chorus and great build-up after the first verse.

Hollyann--can you say power ballad? Real honest to goodness power ballad! This has some soaring guitar and vocal work on it. Great way to end an album. Love through the ages.

Overall, a very impressive album. This is one of my perfect albums. Every song is great and could stand on its own. The weakest song is till better than most songs on other albums.

Brad, you will be missed.

No comments: