Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Pandora...best website ever!

Ok. In my top 5 anyway. Have you experienced Pandora? I ran across it through a magazine article and I visit it almost every time I am on the web.

Ok. It is part of the Music Genome Project. What's that? Well...

Inigo Montoya: Let me 'splain. [pause] No, there is too much. Let me sum up. Buttercup is marry' Humperdinck in a little less than half an hour. So all we have to do is get in, break up the wedding, steal the princess, make our escape... after I kill Count Rugen. --The Princess Bride

A group of "musicians and music-loving technologists" came together to analyze music and try and separate it into genes--or attributes. If you give them a song, they will find similar songs.

Frankly, it is quite amazing. I have several stations that I have created, but I really only listen to one. It is my Power Pop station.

"What is Power Pop?" I sense you asking. Here is the definition from wikipedia:
Power pop is a musical genre that draws its inspiration from 1960s British and American pop music.

The music is characterized by strong melodies, crisp vocal harmonies, economical arrangements and prominent guitar riffs. Instrumental solos are kept to a minimum, and blues elements are largely downplayed. Recordings tend to display production values that lean toward compression and a forceful drum beat, most often in a dance vein. Instruments usually include one or more electric guitars, electric bass guitar, a drum kit, and perhaps electric keyboards or synthesizers.

Badfinger's "No Matter What" (1970), The Raspberries' "Go All The Way" (1972), and The Knack's "My Sharona" (1979) are some of the most commercially successful singles of the power pop genre.

While its cultural impact has waxed and waned over the decades, it is among rock's most enduring subgenre.


My personal definition is one that I have been using for years; before I really discovered power pop. A song that makes you sing, you can dance to it, it has a great chorus and it us under 4 minutes.

Ok. back to Pandora. You visit the website and create a free account. Name the radio station you want to make. Put in a song that you like. Listen to what Pandora suggests. Click on the "I Like it" or "I Don't Like It" thumbs on the CD art. Pandora will then play something else based on your input.

I amazed at the music that I have discovered. And the artists. You can visit my profile page to see some of the new groups and songs that I have bookmared.

My two new favorite bands? The Rocket Summer and The Marvelous 3.

Try it out. Seriously...

No comments: